George Washington University (GW) values diversity in all its forms. Our commitment to diversity is witnessed in our eagerness to welcome and students from across the country and around the world.
In December of 2016, GW leadership shared their continued support of undocumented students studying at the university. In a statement, the university reaffirmed its "commitment to support our undocumented students, safeguard student records and provide legal services when appropriate." The university outlined key principles in order to protect the civil rights of students:
1. The university will continue to provide information on how to apply to GW and request financial aid as an undocumented person. The university has not and will not require that admitted students provide proof of citizenship or that current students disclose if they are undocumented.
2. The university will assist its undocumented students through the GW Law School’s immigration law clinic.
3. Confidential student records regarding immigration status of undocumented students will not be released without a warrant, subpoena or other court order, unless authorized by the student.
4. Students will not be questioned, held or arrested by the George Washington University Police Department (GWPD) on the basis of immigration status alone.
5. University police officers will not participate in joint immigration enforcement efforts with other law enforcement officials unless required by law.
Resources on GW's Campus
- GW Tells Community 'You Are Welcome Here' - GW has shown its support of all students, regardless of race, religion, nationality, sexual orientation or gender identity. The university has joined more than 100 universities participating in the initiative.
- GW Center for Student Engagement - The CSE seeks to enhance all aspects of the GW student experience, fostering communities that promote learning and development.
- First Generation Student Support - The CSE hosts supports first generation students in a number of ways including monthly dinners, mentoring, and the promotion of the First Generation community at GW.
- Multicultural Student Services Center - The MSSC is dedicated to welcoming, enriching, and creating an inclusive environment at GW.
- Illinois Association for College Admissions Counsling College Advising Guide for Undocumented Students - This guide compiles a number of resources for undocumented students, including admissions and financial aid information.
- My Undocumented Life - Up-to-Date Information and Resources for Undocumented Immigrants